Updates from Parker (Sent via email Jan 8)
1. We need everyone there no later than 8:15am for orientation at 8:30am.
2. In order to serve at this event and work with the Buckner children, you MUST register immediately by going to this event web address (copy & paste to browser):
This includes EVERYONE, even if you have served with Buckner before.
3. We will have lunch at the event with the kids and each other.
4. There will be about 50 kids there. Some of them are the biological kids and some are foster kids of the parents who will be in training during the event.
5. IF you would like to get a GIFT FOR THE KIDS, you can go to this direct AMAZON web address (copy & paste to browser) and it will show you a list of some of the items that are needed:
This link will allow you to have the item(s) shipped directly to Jordan Castle at Buckner. Be sure to select “Jordan Castle” as the ship to address when checking out.
6. IF you would like to DONATE MONEY to Buckner and let them handle the needs, you can bring cash or check and there will be someone from Buckner to collect it at the event.
7. IF you NEED A RIDE or would like to CARPOOL, please reply to this email and let me know so that I can help make arrangements before Saturday. Let me know what part of town you live too.
8. Wear your class shirt
For those of you who are NEW to Prestonwood and to the Examine Class, instead of us having a Christmas party each year, we do something called our “12th Night Celebration”. Old Jewish tradition says that the Magi or Wisemen arrived at the manger of Baby Jesus 12 nights after He was born. This is not necessarily accurate as historians have shown, but we still like to use it as the title of our Christmas Celebration each January. In years past, we have done a big dinner and white elephant gift exchange and then headed somewhere to do a big scavenger hunt. But…
THIS YEAR we decided to do something very different in that we wanted to serve and bring gifts for the foster children of the BUCKNER CHILDREN’S organization. So instead of us bringing gifts for each other, we will have the opportunity to bring gifts for the children and foster families.
SO we need ALL HANDS ON DECK as we will be serving at the BUCKNER CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES EVENT on Saturday, January 12th, in the morning and afternoon. We will help facilitate games and activities for the foster children and biological children while the parents are in training that day. The children will rotate from station to station and we just need to be there to help with the activities and interact with the kids at each station. We need at least 25-30 people for the morning shift 8:30am-Noon and at least 25-30 for the afternoon shift 11:30am-4pm.
PLEASE REPLY to let us know if you can help out and tell us which shift(s) you can help out with. We will also be having lunch together there so that both groups can fellowship together between shifts.
Also, each volunteer will be required to fill out a background questionnaire before they can work with the children. This is standard procedure for both Prestonwood and the Buckner organization. I will send out more detailed information as well as related links to what gifts are needed in a separate email (in a few days). Stay tuned…